Monday, April 14

Acronymic Ads are Confusing, Hysterical.


I was on my way to work this morning, walking down the street after my fiscally irresponsible indulgence at Starbucks, when I stopped dead in my tracks. An advertisement on a wooden placard was staring back at me, mocking me and my $3.50 cup of coffee. It read “OMFG.”

Now, I’m not down with the lingo that kids use these days, but I’m pretty sure that means “Orange Macchiato Frappachino Girl.” How did this ad know my gender and what beverage I ordered? Was it an oracle of sorts? And why did it feature two kids having sex in the background?

Upon further research, I learned that I was entirely wrong. It’s actually an advertisement for Gossip Girls. Judging from the ad, I think it’s a show about skanky teenage girls who like to gossip and make out in the back of cabs.

I was a bit disappointed when I found all this out, since I plan on ordering a White Tea Frappachino tomorrow and would have loved to see a billboard at 8:30 in the morning read WTF. LOL.

See the ads here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMFG. I love Gossip Girl! Thank you so much for reminding me that its coming back on. Here is whats coming up on April 21st:

Dan goes to visit his mother and when he returns home he is surprised to meet Rufus's new girlfriend; Blair hesitantly returns to school after being dethroned as Queen Bee; Serena struggles to adjust to living with her future stepbrother, Chuck, and receives disturbing packages from an unknown sender; Jenny’s drive to be popular hits an all-new time high when she does something illegal to fit in with her new Upper East Side friends.

Allison Van Houten said...

GMWCOGMD

Allison Van Houten said...

[give me whipped cream or give me death]